Friday, September 23, 2011

How to Find Out if I share an IP Address?

i live in an apartment complex and have been having some computer problems since using a proxy service. It was indicated to me that when I use the proxy, I change the IP on all the computers? How is this possible if I am not the Administrator. Also, is it possible for all of us to share the same IP address? If so, how do I find out if the IP address is shared with other computers in the building?



Thank youHow to Find Out if I share an IP Address?The individual machine IP address is unique or it will give a warning. From there the router will issue the IP's to the single unit and translate the address to the common IP used by the router to the ISP service. Why are you using a proxy service? Trying to get around a lockout by the administrator?How to Find Out if I share an IP Address?If you share an external IP address via a NAT router you'll find that your actual IP address is a private one.



These are commonly in the range 192.168.xxx.xxx

and 10.0.xxx.xxx



If you share a private IP then your connection will be very unreliable.



You probably share an external IP address and this can be found in various ways and here is one way http://www.moanmyip.com/How to Find Out if I share an IP Address?the IP sould be uniqe in all computers in same network]How to Find Out if I share an IP Address?if you're using a router that supports dhcp, like in a typical home connection, then your home has 1 ip, and all the computers that connect to that router are assigned their own ip addresses by the router. if any 2 computers on the same network have the same ip, then there will be an error and 1 or both connections won't work. the same follows for a proxy server. if it is dhcp-enabled, then you shouldn't be manually assigning ip addresses.