Monday, September 19, 2011

How can you make your IP address a proxy?

My school blocks almost any website imaginable, and I use proxies. Not the common website ones, I mean the ones that you go into settings and change the proxy and port. Port 3128 is open for my school, but many proxies for that port die fast. I know it can be done but I'm not sure how. Can someone help me use my IP address as a proxy? I don't mean make a proxy website, like unblockyoutube.com. I want my IP to be able to be used as a proxy. Anyone able to help here? Or am I stuck searching the web for many more hours?



Thanks in advance.



And please, no comments about just doing what I'm supposed to on the computers. I have a lot of spare time in my classes so I search the web.How can you make your IP address a proxy?Warning: if you're not comfortable with the UNIX command line don't even attempt this! You need at least a basic knowledge of common UNIX commands.

Set up SSH with public key authentication and SSH TCP forwarding, and if possible, do it on port 443, that way it looks like regular SSL traffic and nothing out of the ordinary, however if that's blocked use 3128 since it's open.

Run the server on Linux or Mac OS X, don't even try it on Windows, bad idea. If your school uses Windows on its computers use PortableApps suite on a flashdrive with Firefox Portable and PuTTY Portable, that way you can keep all your settings no matter which computer you use. For Firefox install the extension %26quot;foxyproxy%26quot; and tell it to send DNS requests through your SOCKS proxy.

BTW this is vastly superior to HTTP proxies you've been using because your traffic is encrypted and cannot be sniffed.

Although this might be a bit of a pain to set up you'll be glad you did that when you get done. I've been using this setup to bypass my school's fascist firewall for years.



Google for guides, but here's some good ones for Ubuntu:



https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHHow

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Advanc



If you use a Mac I have no idea how to make an SSH server on that but it should be easy enough.