Tuesday, October 25, 2011

It says i'm not connected to the net when i am and it won't let me update?

i've been trying to update microsoft security essentials for about a week now, and every time i do i get error code 0x80072efd. it says that it can't find an internet connection, but i'm always on the internet when i try to update it. i've tried it w/ both wireless internet and an ethernet cord, but i get the same result. i've tried to uninstall it and then reinstall it, changing the proxy settings and default internet browser, but to no avail.



i can't update any of my software or download anything new, it's quite maddening lol. i've never had this problem before, so can anybody tell me what's going on and how to fix it?It says i'm not connected to the net when i am and it won't let me update?I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds like there might be a rootkit of some sort on your computer. They are kind of like viruses, but are usually undetectable by antivirus programs and can even disable your antivirus or firewall.



The best place to start in my experience is the BleepingComputer forums. They have a section called %26quot;Am I Infected?%26quot; where people will guide you through steps to figure out if you have some sort of rootkit. I've solved tons of problems thanks to that site.



Here's the link-- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/fIt says i'm not connected to the net when i am and it won't let me update?Have you followed the help page from MS

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

In the symptoms it has your error code so they have given a work around.