Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How do I legally change my name after getting married by double Proxy?

My husband and I were married by a double Proxy because he was stationed in Germany while I was back home. Because of the Proxy I was able to come live with him in Germany. So now we are married but the Proxy didn't legally change my name. Because I am out of country and I am not able to come home whenever I want to it seems impossible. I'm not sure if making a court date is my only option and if it is then is there a way to compact the process and arrange it for when we come home on leave? This name change is getting in the way everywhere I turn, and I just want to have his last name once and for all.



Thank you for any help.How do I legally change my name after getting married by double Proxy?First of all the proxy doesn't change your name, that is something you have to do. Second, hopefully wherever you got married allows 'double proxy' marriages - Here in the states, most of the few jurisdictions that do allow proxy marriages only allow the absent service member and require one of the parties to be there - prevents fraud. That, however, is irrelevant to your question.



You have to have your marriage license (the certified copy), then you change your driver's license, social security card, and bank/credit accounts.How do I legally change my name after getting married by double Proxy?I looked into it and have finally changed my name. As long as I bring out original certificate everywhere: SS and so on- I had no problem. Thanks for the help1 This was only hard because I am not home often! and I have to do it there.

Report Abuse